Tuesday, September 18, 2018

The Beginning

Before I embark on this blog journey and start working toward inspiring and motivating others to be in the best shape of their lives no matter what age they are, I thought it would be important to share  what got me to this point.   Besides, it is usually better to start at the beginning to understand the entire journey.

I was always had a little weight on me until about middle and high school when you start getting that pressure to fit into a certain mold.  It was at that point that was thin and weighed 120 pounds but like most teenagers I didn't eat healthy and sure didn't work out.  My junior year I met my soon to be first husband and gained 20 pounds rather quickly.  His family was Italian and Moma always made sure that you were eating and of course I was not one to turn it down.  While I try to blame this weight gain on all the pasta and bread that I was suddenly eating, it was obviously the fact that I was not eating right and exercising.  The pasta was merely an excuse for me.

We got married and by time I got pregnant with our daughter, I was up to 160 and used pregnancy as an excuse to eat.  Looking back, there were other factors at play but that was covered in my self discovery blog (thatgirlinstl.wordpress.com).  Anyway, by the time I was 9 months pregnant I had ballooned to a whopping 200 pounds! 



I did dedicate myself to lose weight after she was born but once I got pregnant again, it was all down hill from there.  I continued to gain weight and at least tried to workout but weighed in at about 230 pounds.  I was not happy in my life and in turn didn't take care of myself.  I didn't like myself but was not willing to do anything to change it.

I was fortunate enough to have friends that cared and introduced me to running and spinning.  Running/speed walking became a release for me and it was my time to clear my mind and it just be me, my music and the sound of my shoes hitting the pavement.  I ran a few 5Ks and was finally getting into some sort of physical activity but it was still not enough to keep me fully interested.  I still ate the same way so I was eating away any progress that I had made.


When I made the move to St Louis and was plunged into a single life, running again became my companion.  It was what kept me sane and kept me from breaking down and feeling sorry for myself.  While training for my first half marathon, my plantar fasciitis started acting up and I pushed too hard leading to a severe ankle injury.  I let this ankle injury sideline me and the cycle of being unhealthy began again.

At 49 2/12, 254 pounds, horrible pain in most of my joints, my ankles and knees hurting so bad that there is no way that I can run or exercise, tired all the time and snoring badly, I knew that it was time to take control.  I had been controlled my whole life by the factors around me.  I had let those factors take over.  It was time that I became the one in control.  Knowing that I had a 50th birthday coming up in 11 months and that there was no time better than the present, I finally dedicated myself to become "50 FIT AND FABULOUS".

I had been controlled my whole life by the factors around me.  I had let those factors take over.  It was time that I became the one in control.

I talked with my doctor and with his help, put together a "weight loss stack" of weight loss pills and vitamins.  That along with changing my eating lifestyle and working out, I have been able to lose 80 pounds.  

I turned 50 on September 2 and am in the best shape of my life! 

I am "50 FIT AND FABULOUS"!

I am never going back and plan to share the rest of my journey and inspiration here to help others to be FABULOUS no matter what age you are! 

I will also be sharing what's next on this journey in coming blogs.  

STAY FIT! STAY FOCUSED! STAY FABULOUS!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Authenticity, Myth or Reality

  Yes it has been a while... things have been crazy and out of control. I am sure it is the same for us all so I will get better I promi...